A different kind of soup recipe with an unexpected sweetness taste from the corn, peas, red bell pepper and feta cheese.
You are not going to believe it, but I learned this soup from my boyfriend’s parents. Some months back, when I first met them, they came all the way from Panama to visit us, especially to meet me in person.
I still remember all the stress before, trying to make sure that everything is in place, the kitchen looks spotless and that we also had a couple of very cold German beers in the fridge. Hey, we are living in Germany, after all, the German beer is one of the best treats!
Although we were switching a couple of languages (English, Spanish, a little bit of French and German…, the Romanian was the only one missing from the picture to sound like “polyglots”) in order to understand each other, we spent some amazing quality time. Body language is also considered an option, right?! :)
After showing them around and trying a few new restaurants, I kind of craved for a tasty and healthy homemade meal.
However, being so curious about the culture and longing for more details about Panamanian cuisine, we started cooking this sensational tasty soup recipe with an unexpected sweetness taste from the veggies and cheese. It’s not truly 100% Panamanian recipe, though as we had to adapt it to the local ingredients.
I sincerely recommend this sweet soup with peas, corn, red bell pepper and feta cheese. Besides, it takes only 20 minutes to make. As you have probably already noticed, I am not going to keep you this time in the kitchen too long either.
- - 500 g frozen green peas
- - 500 g frozen corn
- - 2 large-sized red bell peppers, chopped
- - 1 large-sized onion, thinly chopped
- - 250 g feta cheese, roughly chopped
- - 1 pinch of chili powder
- - 1 pepper, chopped
- - 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- - a handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- - sea salt and pepper to taste
- Add olive oil to a pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion, sea salt and chili and cook until the onion gets golden and softens (about 2 minutes).
- Add the peas, corn, red bell pepper and 1L still water. Let them boil, then lower the heat and let it simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Before the soup is done, add the feta cheese and let it simmer for 5 more minutes. Sprinkle it with fresh coriander, sea salt and pepper and set it aside to cool.
- Enjoy it & Stay healthy!
Enjoy it & Stay healthy!