I love assembling homemade tacos as they are tasty, healthy and quick to make. Frankly, my recipe for today came out of necessity. I simply pulled out the last ingredients I had in the fridge and turned them into a delicious lunch.
Et Voilà, warm corn tortillas filled with chicken breast cooked in a savory and spicy way, corn, avocado, and yoghurt – what a divine flavor!
Have you ever tried tacos with corn tortillas? Tortillas are a staple food in many homes (mine is one of them). Tortillas, especially corn tortillas, are healthy and versatile, great for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks, and go with almost any leftovers.
For the ones who are not familiar with tortillas, but still curious enough to give them a shot, I will briefly explain the difference between corn and flour tortillas.
First of all, corn tortillas have 1 gram of fat while the flour ones may have more than 3 grams in saturated fat, commonly knows as the “bad fat”.
Secondly, corn tortillas usually have a short and simple ingredient list while flour tortillas have a longer list of additives for flavor, which makes them a bad choice for people with allergies.
Thirdly, the corn tortillas have an earthy, natural taste while flour tortillas are a bit sweeter and more filling.
So based on calories, fat content and the ingredients list, corn tortillas win as the healthier option. They also provide fiber, calcium, potassium, iron and B vitamins. Next time when you go to the grocery store, make the healthy decision and choose corn tortillas.
I used to believe that preparing a regular taco might be a little daunting, but guess what?! I was so wrong, they are actually so easy and keep you only a few minutes in the kitchen.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into small cubes
- 1 large corn cob, kernels removed
- 1 avocado
- 2 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup of Greek yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- cayenne powder
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add one chopped onion and sauté until the onion gets golden and soft. Add the garlic and sauté for one more minute. Reduce the heat to a lower level and add the chicken cubes, pepperoni and corn, already boiled. Let them simmer, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Season carefully with sea salt, pepper and cayenne.
- To assemble the tacos, spread the avocado down the center of each warm corn tortilla. Top with a leaf of green lettuce, chicken, extra corn, extra avocado and a splash of yoghurt. And it’s ready to be served.