This granola recipe had basically saved my morning routine for the past 6 weeks and so … Hooray! 🙂 I am back to life. Back to running. Back to blogging and so much more. 🙂 Hello to you too!
If you haven’t heard about this blog yet, but just stumbled upon my recipe today and you somehow haven’t tried GRANOLA yet, then the first thing you need to know is that homemade granola is one of the best things on earth. Seriously!
And this one has just 6 ingredients, featuring almond flakes and sunflower seeds. It’s by far my new favourite healthy morning bite! 🙂
My reasons why you should also make your own granola, regardless of your favorite ingredients or the ones you have at hand, you ask?
1. Say goodbye to boring breakfasts! Adding homemade granola to your breakfast routine makes that plain yoghurt (my favourite is the Greek one) or milk (I’m currently having a crush on soy milk) we have on a regular basis so much more interesting. You can even go wild and make it quite special, by topping it off with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter, fresh fruits of your choice (my fav combo is 1/2 chopped banana, a handful of grapes and blueberries) and a splash of honey. DE-LI-CIOUS!
2. You can simply munch on them! They can mostly contain fruits, nuts, seeds and oats, which make them so crunchy with a cookie-like consistency, such a perfect and healthy bite-sized snack.
3. They last forever! You can keep them in airtight containers to have them last for a while, especially if you happen to skip the breakfast routine on a regular basis. But STOP skipping breakfast!
4. My favourite reason is that you are the one in control! I mean, have you ever read the ingredients list on a bag of granola bought from the grocery shop? I’m personally put off by the amount of refined sugar and additives they contain. They are supposed to be a healthy choice. Better make your own since it’s so easy and quick. Not to mention, cheap too.
Having said all that, before going on with my exceptionally simple and short list of ingredients to make it possible in every single house, I would like to mention that most of the times (with a few exceptions, of course) there is no need to complicate things or ingredients in order to get a healthy meal. Just use what you have at hand and make it happen. For instance, if you don’t like raisins, then replace them with cranberries or your favourite dried fruit. You’re in charge.
Here is my ingredients list – rolled oats, almonds flakes, sunflower seeds, unsweetened raisins, honey and milk of your choice.
- 3 cups/255 g/9 oz rolled oats
- 1 cup/85 g/3 oz almond flakes
- 1 cup/85 g/3 oz sunflower seeds
- 1 cup/85 g/3 oz unsweetened raisins
- 2 tablespoons honey or maple syrup
- 200 ml milk of your choice
- Preheat the oven to 356°F/180°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl combine all the ingredients (rolled oats, almond flakes, sunflower seeds, raisins, honey and milk) and whisk together until fully combined. It should have a thick consistency.
- Spread the granola in an even layer on the baking tray. Place it in the over and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring halfway through. The granola should be turning slightly golden-red ish and dry. Plus, you kitchen gets a deliciously nutty aroma.
A crunchy granola exploding with roasted almond and sunflower flavours. Tell me how it goes with yours. 🙂
Did you make this granola recipe? Then tag #cookitfit on your favourite social media channels. I’d love to see! 🙂
Stay healthy & be happy!