Do you workout on a regular basis? I hope you do or, at least, are seriously thinking of starting to do it. Either way, you probably already know how important is the protein refuel after a strenuous session! To thicken the texture, I added Greek yoghurt almost to a pudding like consistency for an extra protein boost.
Proteins are essential nutrients that help our bodies repair cells and make new ones, regulate hormone and enzyme levels and make antibodies that help us fight back all sorts of infections. They are also needed to make up muscle tissue in order to keep our bodies active, strong and healthy.
I believe that – in general – a well-balanced diet should provide enough protein so that protein supplements should not be required – except under special circumstances. Protein can be found in dairy, eggs, meat, fish, all legumes (such as beans, chickpeas, lentils, etc.), some grains (quinoa is one of them), nuts and seeds, as well as in a protein smoothie.
As I find protein smoothies/shakes a strong and important boost before, during or post workout, I like to play around with the wide variety of natural ingredients in order to bring a new twist to my “energizing treat”.
Drinking the same thing all the time gets boring (to me, at least), so yesterday I tried to mix the usual banana with something different. This time I used fresh blueberries, raw almonds, hemp seeds, chia seeds and acai berry powder ( you should be able to find it in any “Health food” store; where I live, it’s called Reformhaus. To thicken the texture, I added Greek yoghurt almost to a pudding like consistency for an extra protein boost. Don’t go nuts with the yoghurt though if you want it as a quick drink.
One more thing: this protein shake won’t be so yummy without a few of ice cubes.
- Banana – a rich source of potassium that protects your heart and promotes calcium absorption.
- Blueberries – great source of anti-oxidants that boost your brain, soften your skin and may even help in preventing cancer.
- Hemp seeds – an edible protein (loaded with all 9 amino acids) and also rich in dietary fiber, omega-3 and 6 fatty acids.
- Chia seeds – rich source of dietary fiber and omega-3 fatty acids, protein and calcium.
- Raw unsalted almonds – great source of vitamins, minerals, protein and calcium that help prevent weight gain.
- Acai berry powder – immensely rich in anti-oxidants, fiber and healthy fats for your heart.
- Greek yoghurt – a rich source of protein and probiotics, the healthy bacteria that may increase the good bacteria in your gut.
- ½ fresh banana, chopped
- a handful of fresh blueberries
- a handful of raw almonds
- 1 tbs raw hemp seeds
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp acai berry powder
- ½ cup of unsweetened almond milk
- 2 scoops of Greek yoghurt
- 3 ice cubes
- Easy and quick, mix all the ingredients in a blender, for a couple of seconds until smooth.
Get creative, use the ingredients you have on hand and stay healthy! Make sure you only "cook it fit".