A double dose of protein for tomorrow’s lunch anyone? Buttery black lentils, hearty white quinoa and chunks of avocado… Mmmmm, you bet it tastes awesome. Really awesome!
I am also in the mood of eating tons of fruit all day long and very simple meals (fast to prepare too) like today’s salad. Now imagine the buttery black lentils combined with the hearty white quinoa how it goes. Avocado lends a lovely, buttery flavor and fresh oregano makes this salad look and taste alive. Don’t you also think? 🙂
I can’t believe that I haven’t posted this salad before. I’ve made it at least 5 times now, two times using fresh oregano and three times using steamed broccoli. It tastes absolutely divine both ways, but I personally preferred the one with fresh oregano. You can even add the both ingredients if you have them at hand.
Imagine that NOW … Mmmmmm, YES please.
Yaaaay! Picnic season with my fabulous friend Anne. I had to show her what a phenomenal cook I am (very modest too) before she goes back to the States. Don’t get me wrong, I love all my friends (thank you God for so many beautiful people in my life), everyone has a special place in my heart … but Anne – just look at her. Just being around her, you forget about your everyday concerns and connect better with yourself.
It took me exactly 15 minutes to make this salad. I cooked the black lentils and white quinoa separately, then I added them to a saucepan with olive oil in, and lastly tossed while warm with fresh lime, oregano, and avocado.
Because lentils and quinoa are both so hearty, you can of course prepare this meal ahead of time (keeps a few days in the fridge) and serve it warm with extra fresh oregano or other veggies of your choice. You can even take it with you for lunch the next day. My boyfriend does that every day. Of course, he loves the goodies. 🙂
What I love most about this salad is how simple and delicious is. So if you have a busy next week, my black lentil quinoa salad with avocado would be a delicious meal for lunch or dinner … and not to take up too much time. About 15 minutes and DONE! 🙂
Healthy, hearty and so darn tasty! Are you in?
- - 150 g cooked black beluga lentils
- - 150 g cooked white quinoa
- - 1 medium ripe avocado, pitted and diced
- - 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- - 2 tbsp of extra-virgin olive oil
- - 1 tsp chili flakes
- - ¼ cup fresh oregano, mostly leaves, chopped
- - sea salt and pepper to taste
- First off, cook the black lentils and white quinoa separately according to the package instruction (about 10 minutes).
- When lentils and quinoa are cooked, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the avocado and fresh oregano reduce the heat to a lower level. Let them simmer, stirring occasionally, for 2 minutes.
- Season carefully with sea salt, pepper, chili flakes and squeeze a bit of lime/lemon juice. Add extra olive oil and serve them together in your favorite plate or take it to the picnic.
- Enjoy! 🙂
Get creative, use the ingredients you have at hand but make sure you #cookitfit.
Are you looking for more lentil salads? Here are my faves:
3. Guacamole with Black Lentils & Kidney Beans
Did you make one of these recipes? Or maybe all??? 🙂 Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below or share a picture on Instagram and tag photos you post of my recipes with he hashtag #cookitfit so I can see.