This quick and easy breakfast, snack or dessert is just a brilliantly purple crisp with a rolled oats, cooked quinoa and almond topping – all you need to improve your morning routine. Yum!
I LOVE crumble with almost any topping, but when paired with fresh blueberries and served with vanilla ice-cream, I am forgetting (for a day, maybe two, hahaha) about my work-in-progress-perfect-ABS. Let’s get serious now – that good! :))
Fresh blueberries won’t be here much longer – they’re still in season – so I of course used fresh ones, but my guess is that you could get away with frozen too. Just so you know, I haven’t used frozen before.
Or you know what?! Use other fresh fruit like strawberries, peaches, or nectarines and let me know how it turns out for you.
My favorite is this sweet juicy blueberries contrasted with the crispy and crumbly rolled-oat-based topping, though. That’s right baby, it tastes exactly how it looks.
Now take your time and look at it …
What makes this crispy almond crumble recipe so SPECIAL is that the crust layer is prepared with only simple yet wholesome ingredients like rolled oats, cooked quinoa, pumpkin seeds, almond flakes, hemp powder, coconut oil, plain Greek yoghurt and maple syrup or raw honey.
Just simply pour this crumble layer evenly over the fresh blueberries and you’re done. Yup, that was all! 🙂
By the way, did you start running? 🙂 Which hours are working better for you? I am still into the early morning routine … waking up around 6-ish, drinking my glass of water (at room temperature), grabbing a quick snack on the way out, and RUN like no one is watching. It does make me a better person, really!
- For the Crispy topping:
- - 2 cup rolled oats
- - 3 tbs cooked white quinoa (I cooked it beforehand according to the package instructions, about 15 mins)
- - 5 tbs almond flakes (unsweetened, brought them from Reformhaus in Germany aka natural store)
- - 2 tbs pumpkin seeds (optional)
- - 3 tbs plain yogurt (I used plain Greek yogurt)
- - 3 tbs maple syrup or raw honey
- - 1 tbs hemp powder (optional)
- - 2 tbs coconut oil, melted (or olive oil)
- - ¼ teaspoon salt
- For the Blueberry filling:
- - 800gr blueberries (about 5 cups)
- - 3 tbs maple syrup or raw honey (your choice)
- - 1 tsp cinnamon
- - 1 small lime or lemon juice (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 250°C (~480°F). Rinse and drain the blueberries and pick through them to remove any stems still attached. In a 9 by 9-inch baking dish, mix together the blueberries, maple syrup or honey, lime or lemon zest, lemon juice and cinnamon.
- Prepare the crumble in a separate bowl. Start by mixing the rolled oats, cooked quinoa, almond flakes, pumpkin seeds, hemp powder, and salt. Then add maple syrup or honey and the coconut oil, melted. Use your hands to mix it and add your favorite plain yoghurt (or even milk) until well combined.
- Pour the oat mixture over the filling and use your fingers to break up the mixture until it is evenly distributed. Add extra almond flakes on top for a crispy crust. And please bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the filling is bubbling around the edges and the top is lightly golden. Enjoy it! 🙂
In case you don’t have coconut oil, olive oil works too. And hemp powder, pumpkin seeds, and lime are also optional. Get creative, use the ingredients you have on hand and stay healthy! Make sure you only #cookitfit.
If you enjoy this recipe, you might also like:
1. Blueberry Chocolate Crumble
2. Berries Cacao Crumble
3. Crunchy Pumpkin-Apple Crumble
Did you make one of these recipes? Or maybe all??? 🙂 Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below or share a picture on Instagram and tag photos you post of my recipes with he hashtag #cookitfit so I can see.