These easy muffins to make are only sweetened with apples and dates. So here I am again, promising you another delicious HEALTHY dessert!
Not my babies!
These muffins are wonderfully light, with a slightly sweet apple-nutty flavor and a delightful texture, balanced with rolled oats and almond flour.
Did you know that almond flour gives a sweet, nutty flavor to baked goods and is high in protein, fiber, vitamin E and healthy fat? And by balancing with rolled oats, the muffins come out lighter without losing the moist taste.
The combination of apples, rolled oats, almond flour, Greek yogurt and coconut oil is amazing. So mind blowing that I HAD to make them three times in less than two weeks.
Now, the interesting part is that I only sweetened them with apples sauce and dates. Actually, I did my own apple sauce, which is, by the way, one of the easiest things to make. The only trick is to choose a SWEET variety of apples.
How To Make Apple Sauce: core the apples, cut them in slices and add them to a saucepan on medium heat together with the water. Bring to a boil and then turn down the heat. Let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes and then blend them until smooth.
Now, going back to my babies, all you need to do is really combine all the ingredients together: rolled oats, almond flour (you can try using your favorite flour, but I won’t guarantee the same taste), 2 eggs, baking powder, cinnamon, Greek yoghurt, salt, dates (mashed), apple sauce and coconut oil (don’t like the coconut oil? No worries, use olive oil instead). Mix them well until batter is smooth. Then transfer it to the muffin tins, filling them all the way up. Top each muffin with almond flakes (or your favorite thing) and bake them for 30 minutes. Et Voilà, que easy peasy apple muffins to make!
Serve them as a quick, easy-to-grab kind of breakfast, as a healthy snack, or even a DELICIOUS dessert – make sure you buy vanilla ice-cream for that! I like mines right before my training runs as it feels like I am running with the wind. I mean very fast!
… you gotta try them soon … maybe this weekend?! ;)
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups almond flour
- 2 eggs
- 15 fresh dates (mix them in the blender until mashed)
- 4 apples (make your own sauce apple)
- 150 gr plain Greek yoghurt
- 2 tbs coconut oil, melted (or olive oil, but it's not the same)
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp sea salt
- First things first, preheat the oven to 200°C (~400°F) and grease a muffin pan with olive oil ( or line it with muffin tins). I personally like to grease them with olive oil.
- Secondly, prepare the applesauce: core the apples, cut them in slices and add them to a saucepan on medium heat together with the water. Bring to a boil and then turn down the heat. Let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes and then blend them until smooth.
- Thirdly, add the rolled oats to a food processor or blender and process on high speed so the oats turn into coarse flour. Then add the dates to the blender and process them until mashed (smooth).
- Transfer this to a large mixing bowl and add the rest of the ingredients: almond flour, eggs (beat them first in a small bowl), cinnamon, baking powder, salt, Greek yoghurt, apple sauce and coconut oil (melted beforehand) and the apple sauce. Mix all the ingredients until smooth. In case you prefer the muffins sweet (like really sweet), I'd suggest you taste them to see if it needs more applesauce or maybe you could use honey.
- Divide the batter into the muffin tins, filling them all the way up. Top each muffin with almond flakes and bake them for about 30 minutes.
- Let cool for a bit before taking them out of their tins and they will release easier. Enjoy!
Recipe slightly adapted from Green Kitchen Stories.
Did you make these muffins? :) Please let me know how it turned out for you too! Leave a comment below or share a picture on Instagram and tag photos you post of my recipes with he hashtag #cookitfit so I can see.
Enjoy them & be happy!