Holy YUM!!! Now that’s what I am calling a super delicious dose of protein. 🙂
Sometimes I also ask myself (you’re not the only one!) – How come I am not normal – however, I always end up finding myself the perfect excuse that we are all different and what means normal, anyway??? :)) And on top of that I am not following any trend in terms of food choices. If my body wants one or two juicy beef burgers, he is going to get it/them. That’s how it works, especially when you run at least 60 km a week, in my opinion!
I used the spices I had in the pantry like turmeric, chili flakes, and cumin to flavor the beans, I then mashed them with a spoon and added two sliced green onions for some flavor and, why not, color. Now that’s all you need to make a delicious kidney bean and beef burger.
You can eat these burgers on a regular bun, bread, pita, even tortilla, but I opted for these German buns with seeds because they are insanely delicious (If you live in Germany, you must know what I mean). I added a slice of green lettuce, a few slices of onions, tomato, Gouda cheese and bbq sauce. I was craving bbq sauce (I haven’t had it in ages), but you can skip it if needed, or why not add some homemade guacamole sauce. Mmmm, yes PLEASE! 🙂
- - 2 cans (800 gr) kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- - 500 gr extra-lean (at least 90%) ground beef
- - 100 g breadcrumbs (your choice)
- - 2 green onions, chopped
- - 1 slice lettuce
- - 1 slice Gouda cheese
- - 1 slice of tomato
- - ½ tsp turmeric
- - ½ tsp chili flakes
- - ½ tsp cumin
- - 4 teaspoons barbecue sauce
- - sea salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 250°C (~480°F). Drain and rinse the kidney beans. Place the beans in a large bowl and mash them slightly with a tablespoon or a potato masher. Slice the green onions and add them to the bowl along with the turmeric, chili flakes, cumin, pepper, and salt. Stir until the beans are evenly seasoned.
- Add the lean ground beef and breadcrumbs to the seasoned kidney beans. Mix well using your hands. Form 5 BIG patties and place them on a roasting pan or a baking sheet covered with foil and wire cooling racks.
- Bake the patties in the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until browned on the outside and no longer pink in the center. You can cook the patties in a skillet, or on the indoor grill (that's how I do it most of the time).
- While the patties are baking, slice the onions and tomato. Once the patties are done, put them in your favorite buns and serve them on a plate. Add a couple of lettuce leaves along with sliced onions, tomatoes, Gouda cheese, and ENJOY it! 🙂
Get creative, use the ingredients you have at hand and stay healthy! Make sure you only #cookitfit.
Do you eat burgers? What’s your favorite combo? 🙂 Happy weekend! I am off running now.
P.S. In case you make this insanely delicious burger, then let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below or share a picture on Instagram and tag photos you post of my recipes with he hashtag #cookitfit so I can see.