So sweet, so tender, so tasty … My mom will be so proud of me – chicken soup with veggies and homemade egg noodles.
I don’t know how is the weather like in your country, but here it is getting colder as the winter approaches. The other day I had to wear my winter coat. So this early cold weather calls for my mom’s best soup. I named it this way because she simply loves it. And I miss her.
I am not gonna lie to you I think she cooks it every week. However, she does it not because her food repertoire is not broad enough, but because of its simplicity and delicious taste.
I used to think that I have quite a number of meal preparations I’d gladly leave to my mom and this soup was one of them – not anymore. This soup, cooked in almost any Romanian house, is not only delicious and healthy, but also relatively easy to prepare.
As a note, chicken is the star of the dish bringing in so much flavor and, honestly, I would not replace it with anything else.
But some people avoid chicken and prefer using sweet potatoes instead. So, if you are a vegetarian/vegan, I guess you could make it with only vegetables and fresh herbs. Let me know how it goes.
What I also would recommend is making a big batch, especially over the weekend, and have it for a few days as an evening meal during the week. Et Voilà – such a delicious, healthy and filling dish.
- 3 kg whole higher-welfare chicken
- 250 g egg noodles
- 2 red carrots, peeled and rounded sliced
- 1 white carrot, peeled and thinly chopped
- 1 large-sized onion
- ½ leek, rounded chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- a handful of fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- First of all, wash the chicken thoroughly in cold water and chop all the veggies.
- Place the chicken, carrots, onion and leek into a large saucepan and pour water until you cover the chicken, about 2.5 l.
- Simmer on a medium high heat until the chicken is cooked through ( about 40 minutes).
- Remove the chicken from the saucepan, strain the broth and save all the veggies. Put the broth and veggies back on a low heat and add the egg noodles for 10 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, tear the chicken into your favorite sized chunks and throw them back in the saucepan with noodles and veggies.
- Serve it warm and sprinkle fresh chopped parsley.
Get creative, use the ingredients you have on hand and stay healthy! Make sure you only "cook it fit".