Just imagine mixing the two ingredients, the blend of long grain rice, wild and Camargue rice with Beluga black lentils with such a nutty flavor what a special dish it makes. Heaven!
Regardless of which side of the battle you are on, either vegan or meat eater, you are simply going to love this dish. It’s so good!!!
Have you ever thought of combining these two healthy staples? To be totally frank with you, I didn’t until yesterday. That’s right! I will keep trying new things out, even though I have a ton of favorite recipes waiting to be shared with you guys.
Did you know that rice does not contain any harmful fats, cholesterol or sodium?!
Rice has always been known as one of the healthiest food in the world. Whether it is brown or white, Trigano or wild, its health benefits are various.
First of all, rice contains no gluten (current controversy not withstanding), which makes it a good non-allergenic food (especially for people allergic to gluten) to take in Vitamins B, D, calcium, fiber, iron and a range of minerals that are essential for the body.
Secondly, rice can help you with lowering your cholesterol levels, as it does not contain bad cholesterol, making your heart even healthier.
And third, rice contains a lot of carbohydrates that give our body the energy we all need, but don’t eat it in excess.
I often use a Trigrano mix that consists of long grain rice, wild rice and Camargue rice. It has a kind of nutty flavor and retains its texture in contrast with white rice, which it gets a a little softer when cooked. Once you have tried it, it’s impossible to not love it.
So being in such a “rice” mood, I was pretty determined to take my portion of carbohydrates before going to the gym. Since rice is so rich in carbohydrates, it acts as fuel for the body turning it into energy, which is exactly what I need for a perfect workout.
Moreover, of all the legumes and nuts, lentils contain the third highest level of protein, which makes them also a great alternative source when I’m in the mood for a light meal.
- 200 g of Trigrano rice (but you can use any kind of rice you like)
- 100 g of stew of Beluga black lentils
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 onion, halved and thinly sliced
- a handful of fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- In a small saucepan bring water to a boil and let the black lentils cook for about 30 minutes, or until al dente. The proportion is 3:1 (3 parts of water for 1 part of lentils).
- Meanwhile, wash the vegetables (the carrot and onion) very well under cold water and chop them thinly.
- In an second medium saucepan heat the olive oil on low heat and add the onion. Stir-fry it for 2 minutes and add the rice (wash it very well beforehand) and carrot. Once the onion is golden, add water and let it cook for approximately 20 minutes, in my case.
- Watch out for the instructions on the package as it depends on which type of rice you are going to use.
- Once the rice is done, serve it on a plate and add the lentil stew on the top. Sprinkle it with fresh basil. Bon appétit!