Everyone likes pancakes right? And if you don’t, I mean come on, seriously??? 😉 You need these vegan cocoa pancakes to brighten up cold winter days. Just saying’…
I’m super excited about this recipe. Do you remember my last pancake recipe Banana & Cacao Pancakes (by the way, a must-try one) that I could eat at least 5 of them and be hungry again one hour later? Well, these vegan cocoa pancakes with whole wheat flour – that’s higher in fiber and protein than all-purpose one – are going to stick with you until lunch. I promise!
These whole wheat flour pancakes get nice and crisp on the outside while still remaining moist on the inside. I specially love the addition of raw cocoa powder in them because it gives the pancake a nice little kick. Not your thing cocoa powder? Then skip it. I love having mine with fresh thick banana slices, blueberries, almond flakes and maple syrup. YUM!
I gotta load on carbs before tomorrow’s long run – 35 km.
Before you start making these super delicious vegan pancakes I’d like to shout out over to one of my favourite bloggers from Hurry The Food Up! Howie, Kat and Dave have put together a guide on how to start a food blog that includes everything you need from setting up your hosting to food photography and getting traffic – How To Start A Food Blog.
Going back, from start to finish these super simple an healthy vegan pancakes take less than 30 minutes, which means they could easily be made on a hurried weekday morning, right?! I’m planning to test out my theory next week. Anyway, what I can promise is that you make an awesome weekend treat that would take your lazy Sunday to a whole new level.
Ready for a sexy weekend? 🙂 Let’s make some pancakes!
- - 1 cup whole wheat flour or flour of choice
- - 1 tablespoon baking powder
- - ¼ teaspoon salt
- - 1 tablespoon raw cocoa powder
- - 1 cup soy milk or milk of choice
- - 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil or olive oil
- - 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- - 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- More oil to grease your small frying pan
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together all the ingredients the flour, baking powder, salt, cacao powder, milk, coconut oil, maple syrup and cinnamon. Stir well until combined. Let the batter rest for a few minutes - max. 5 - so your pancakes will be all nice and fluffy.
- Heat your oil of choice (I used olive oil) in a small frying pan over medium heat. As I have a non-stick pan, I only have to use a tiny amount of oil. When the oil has heated up, pour about ¼-cup measure of the batter into the centre of the pan and spread it out evenly. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until small bubbles form on the surface of the pancakes (you’ll know it’s ready when it looks matte instead of glossy), and flip. Cook on the opposite side for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Repeat the process with the remaining batter. Serve the pancakes with your favourite toppings immediately or keep them in the fridge for the next day. Enjoy!
Did you make this pancakes recipe? Tag @cookitfit on Instagram or leave a comment here. I’d love to see! 🙂
Stay healthy & be happy!